Thursday, May 10

Chapter 13: The Test


“Am I really capable of doing that?” Chris asked.

“I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see it with my own eyes.” Grunt replied. “You killed Purete using your ice ability. Although it seems that you can’t consciously control it yet.”

“So where are we going?” Chris inquired again.

“To a place where you could train your ability,” was Grunt’s short reply.

The three adventurers traversed the dense forest of Campwood. After an hour of walking, they heard calm splashes of water.

Grunt looked at the two others, “We’re near.”

As they continued walking, they saw a beautiful waterfall. Colorful flowers outlined the area and there is no blade of grass, greener than the grass within the vicinity. The water is so clear, one could see even a tiny pebble at the bottom of the lake.

“This is the Waterfall of Curse and Clarity,” Grunt said. “It is a waterfall known only to a few Cyclops.”

“This waterfall is rather mysterious,” Lillin remarked. “Water continuously falls from above but the water below forms a small lake and not a river. Why isn’t it overflowing?”

“Even I don’t know the answer to that. This waterfall is full of mysteries,” Grunt answered.

Chris then said, “I suppose it contains other mysteries that’s why we’re here? Unless of course you dragged us here to sightsee.”

Slightly irritated, Grunt replied, “It is not called Curse and Clarity for nothing. In the islet in the middle of the lake, you have to stay still for ten days. You cannot eat, drink, sleep…”

“What!?” Chris exclaimed. “How am I going to survive for ten days without those?”

“If you are really one of the destined children, you will not feel anything during the first nine days,” Grunt explained. “The waterfall is supposed to clear your mind and be able to let you control your ability at will.”

“You said I have to stay there for ten days. So what will happen to me on the tenth day?” asked Chris.

Grunt’s tone became very serious. “The first nine days will only test if you’re a destined child. The tenth day will test if you are strong enough to control your ability. As I said, you won’t feel anything on the first nine days, but on the tenth day, you will feel everything your body has gone through during those nine days. Also, it is said that the pain would be thrice as much.”

“Sounds tough,” Chris said. “But if it’s my destiny, I will take the test and be able to complete it. Lillin, just watch me. I’ll make a wonderful pillar of ice once I’m done with this.”

“We’re not staying here,” Grunt said. “We don’t have the luxury of time to wait for your training to finish. We’ll move ahead to the surrounding village and help with the resistance.”

“Good luck, Chris! May nature’s blessing be with you,” Lillin said.

Chris walked towards the lake, and almost immediately, a narrow path made of soil and clay appeared. The path led to the islet. Grunt and Lillin then left and went to the nearest village.

No comments:

Post a Comment